Saturday, November 18, 2006

Nothing short of acid water

Have I yet mentioned 85 cent coffee? The Plymouth Cafe is located across the street from the George (my residence, in case you forgot) and it is a favorite stop of mine before I jump on the train for school. The cafe, if you were judging by its looks, is not a place I would normally find myself. It has bad lighting, a dry-erase board with the menu haphazardly written all over it (that for a non-regular Plymouth goer, it would take a good 5 minutes to figure out), silver coffee carafs lining the counter, random regulars ranging in all ages and classes seated at the 4 tables, and awnings so low, you have to duck in order to get to into the cafe. Despite appearances, this place has the best egg and cheese sandwiches and blueberry muffins (Shannon and I will always try and plan a few extra minutes in our mornings) but I always look forward to 85 cent coffee the most. Growing up my parents (and they still do) have always bought Folgers coffee. Folgers is weaker, and sometimes I am shame-faced for saying that I drink it, especially being the knowlegable Starbucks barista that I was. I still prefer really good coffee, because there is nothing more that I love than finding a great cafe or coffee shop (starbucks not included), but something about Folgers reminds me of home..I am conditioned towards it. 85 cent coffee at Plymouth is your typical diner coffee, your choices ranging in Hazelnut, Vanilla Creme, and your standard regular and decaf...yet that amber liquid in the "I Heart the Big Apple" cups, never fails to get my morning off to a good start.

So this morning, after making my selection of blueberry muffin and hazelnut coffee, I made my way to the trains, only to find out my regular train isn't making trips into Manhattan this weekend. As I began to walk toward Montague where I can board the yellow R train, a frustrated and distraut looking girl asked me where she could find a train that would take her up to Time Square. Her name was Gloria, a prosecutor specializing in child abuse cases, no more than 27, 28 years old if I had to guess...maybe 5'6", brown short (slightly disheveled) hair, brown, thick-rimmed glasses, a nose piercing, bejeweled in thick silver rings and bracelets, and what I liked most about Gloria was the way she spoke. A casual sounding voice, not aggressive, but passive, slightly sounding of a stuffed up nose, talking quickly yet not too hurried, and comfortable. Gloria was anything but shy, and the walk to the train went quickly, in fact, the whole ride into Manhattan was enjoyable as we talked about our career choices, talking about the issues she has to deal with in abuse cases, and how much we both enjoy New York. She even invited me to come out with her friends, but because I have a month left (I can hardly wrap my mind around that) I don't foresee that happening. People like Gloria, that I have met from time to time, have made this experience worthwhile. Even if NYCAMS had turned out to be a bust, I think that my time here would have still been enjoyable, just based on experiences I have had so far.

Time to get to work....its getting down to crunch time. Our show is coming up and the selections for the show will be made a week from Monday. It looks like this Thanksgiving may not be as relaxing as past years.

No comments: