Wednesday, November 15, 2006

And November is Half-Way Over?

Tomorrow is the day I register for classes at Biola for the next semester. I almost don't believe that I am done. I was always told that these four years are over in what seems two year's time, but I never quite believed it. As I looked at the course options and suddenly realized I am almost done with all my studio classes, I began to panic...at least just a little. The routine of school, the people you meet, the community, and the amazing professors I have grown to love and respect will all be taken away from me in about 7 months. I know its time to move on, but I have a hard time accepting that fact. I have always enjoyed school; i love learning and being challenged, and while those challenges will take different shape after graduation, there is something rewarding about being in school and having to undergo finals and papers, because in the end the satisfaction of having completed/learned something is invaluable.

I have loved NY. I am already getting somewhat melancholy at the thought of leaving. But I am ready to go back to Biola and finish strong. The living situation is another issue I have been thinking a lot about. After graduation i had always pictured moving back to Seattle, because there are so many people that I still love up there, but if i am going to pursue my artistic practice, staying in southern California where there is a strong art community (especially in places such as long beach) would be beneficial....I think it has been weighing on me more than I thought.

I am at a crossroads in my artistic career...there are so many things I want to do, and I thank all of you who put up with my "I think I would like to do _____ after graduation" statements, you are so kind for humoring me (especially Rachel, who usually laughs but seems genuinely interested). My portfolio and my general pursuits have taken a turn in the last two years from a design focus to a fine art focus. My inspirations as of late have been tactile foundations that I continue to explore...I usually start with the material and the content usually closely follows. So what do I do with all of these things I love? Painting, drawing, printmaking, three dimensional works, design? I thought about set design..thus the choice of internship, and I have also thought about getting an MFA in art history and working as an art collector and in the future as a prof...then there is illustration, and writing...a complete departure. I'm not even sure where I am going with this entry, I guess these are just some thoughts, and if you ever hear of someone needing to hire an artist with varied interests...give them my name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey. Awesome. I know a bit of the feelings you are having these days. It's hard to leave the school setting, and I loved it as much as you do, so I hear you there. I just finished posting an entry on my blog that you should read. I hadn't read yours yet, so it's a bit ironic that you should have that concern about wanting to stay in LA for the "art."

Speaking of art, when do I get to at least get a peak at what you are doing? Everyone seems to have some idea except me. Grr. Oh, I am soooo looking forward to seeing your senior show next semester. I have loved watching Jamie's stuff progress and I can't wait to see how you two play off each other and work together.

Ok, work work work. Art!