Saturday, November 04, 2006

All You Need Is Love

Yesterday was a good day. It did start out somewhat...odd. We had a lecturer come and speak to us on DADA. It is the first of three lectures. Every art historian or artist must deal with Duschamp and DADA at some point, so while I am touch and go with this era in art history, I felt the neccessity to pay attention. The lecture ended with the instructions to produce our own ready-mades and title them...the title and placement in the gallery being what makes/breaks the piece. So ridiculous. I endured 45 minutes of talking about the various objects.

After class I went with Rachel to an art gallery in Soho where we saw the work of Tauba Auerbach. She works with the idea of language and letters and how those are communicated through codes or systems...brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. While we were walking back to the subway (talking about how inferior we felt as artists) we were some of the only people along the sidewalk, except a man coming towards us dressed in all black with large, dark sunglasses on. It looked like Ewan McGregor, so I indiscreetly stared as he walked past and suddenly realized it was him. Now, I have declared a few times since being here (in regards to celebrity sightings) that all I wanted was to see Ewan and my life would be complete. So you can imagine that when I realized it was him I was not very calm....at all. We turned around and watched him duck into a very expensive clothing store, where a clerk was waiting for him, holding the door. It was too much a temptation not to go back and look through the windows. Ok, so yes, it was a very awkward, stalker-like thing to do, but I really don't care because I got to see his face. So the entire day yesterday I had the satisfaction of telling my friends, very casually of course...not too excited...that I had seen Ewan McGregor and I will admit, I really enjoyed the look of envy that came across their faces.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that I got to hear this story in person! So good to see you today Lauren!! Thanks for taking the time out of your day for a little bit of breakfast!