Friday, November 10, 2006

Magnolia Bakery



I'm supposed to be making art right now. But I just got back from the best spontaneous excursion, and I knew that if I did not sit down and tell you about this experience right now, my excitment might wane and I would therefore not be able to adequately describe the pudding I just ate. Yes that's right, I said pudding. Let me preface this all by making sure you understand something...I love making art..I really do. But I also love being social, and when it comes right down to it, I will sometimes choose the social outing, or the conversation with so-and-so instead. Yes, this is a fault to a degree, because I love to talk and as the story goes, 5 minutes can quickly become 2 hours. So tonight I was faced with this decision. I actually contemplated not going (a big step forward, I thought) but in the end I would have missed out on the most glorious banana pudding this side of heaven. If you are not a banana fan, as most people are not, please set aside your judgments for the moment and continue reading with an open mind...

Magnolia Bakery is located in the West Village; an average looking corner bakery tucked in amidst retail stores bearing designer labels, chic apartments, and generally attractive people perusing the streets. But don't be fooled by the mom-and-pop looking decor, oh no..this bakery is happening. The hipsters, the fashion-forward, the college student, the tourist, even the local PTA may be found crowding the tiny bakery, while the edgy-looking bakers and clerks ring up the purchases usally comprising of their famous cupcakes. People rave over these cupcakes, I personally have yet to try one, but the banana pudding is the best thing there....or so the "bouncer" at the front door says (it was so crowded the line wrapped around the corner of the building). I quickly paid for my pudding and was not two steps out the door when I couldn't take it anymore..I had to taste it before I took another step. However, in the end i had to move farther away from people because my joy and excitement over this pudding could not be contained, and when in the West Village, ALWAYS play it cool...don't get overly excited, ESPECIALLY when it comes to banana pudding, even if it is from Magnolia (though I secretly think all the posh people are inwardly ecstatic). As rich as homemade whipped cream, the pudding does not even deserved to be categorized with pudding...it needs a genre all to itself! Bananas and cake are mixed in, and let me tell you about what I call P.P.D.S., otherwise known as Post Pudding Depression Syndrome, because if you eat this pudding you will inevitably face this when you clean your cup.
1) Don't Panic. Though there is one Magnolia, your waistline will thank you in the end that this treat is not so readily available.
2) Focus on the good times. Like the first bite, don't think about the end; see the pudding cup as half-full, not half-empty.
3) Spread the word. Talking about the pudding is not the same as eating it, but it might bring you some happiness in thinking about it.

And with that I end this entry. The woodshop is calling my name, I have an early morning call time for a photo-shoot for Neiman Marcus (intern work), and if I tell you anymore about this pudding, it might just break your heart. And really who wants a broken heart over pudding?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Queen Anne and Magnolia. How funny to read a blog talking about my home. There are all kinds of arts right here in Seattle and every platform to choose from. It all depends on how you market your self and your "product" No need to go all Southern Cali unless you want to. No excuses needed.... Just a few thoughts to think on and YEAH Magnolia Bakery!!