Monday, September 25, 2006

Autumnal Breezes

Something in the air speaks of fall. As I make my way to the studio every morning, I walk along a street where floral vendors are making their way in and out of their shops with plants of all kinds lining the streets for the day's sale. In and out, in and out. I weave my way through the many people crowding the sidewalk, shielding my eyes from the brilliant sun reflecting off the wet cement. The colors of fall are beginning to show, and the air is beginning to smell of cool breezes that require coats and scarves.

The first month is gone. I have worked hard, but I do not know if my work reflects that quite yet. Much of my studio time has been spent working out ideas, or creating small drawings or paintings that will feed into my larger idea. I have 9 days until my midterm project is due...it hardly seems possible, i feel as if i just got here! I have fallen in love with this city. I am not sure if I could ever live here, at least not in the immediate future, but to have the opportunity to live here for one semester has been (so far) an invaluable experience.


I went to an antique market today and found this snapshot. I thought it was very beautiful and i could own it for the price of only $2. I found 5 old glass slides that have some great images on them, but i was unable to scan them in with much clarity. There were so many great things, I ended up spending two hours in this parking garage that is cleared out every weekend for the vendors. One vendor owns a large warehouse and supplied the props for "A Beautiful Mind" and "The Aviator."

This is a shorter post because I must get back to work...those 9 days are going to go by quickly. I will post images of my project soon.
Thanks for reading so far....

No comments: