Thursday, September 07, 2006

Oscar the Grouch never had it this good...

New York is great for dumpster diving. People are throwing away things all the time. Lumber, chairs, rugs, clocks, furniture, frames, and anything an artist could want. I found a link (thanks to libby) to a website that people use to report finds throughout the city: http://www.garbagescout.com/ny..#
It is amazing how much trash is accumulated here. NYCAMS students are coming and going from dumpster excursions. I have yet to come across any great finds...

Art supplies should be bought in progression. With an open studio class, the freedom to just work can be overwhelming. I will be slowly collecting the things I need. I made a trip to an art supply store a few days ago. It was a small 4 story building, but you had to pay for your supplies on each floor before you progressed up the next flight of stairs. There is no car with which to load up your purchases...everything must be carried back on the subway. This limits me in grocery shopping as well.

Peas and Pickles is cute..but expensive. Most places take cash here, even when dining out. Small restaurants will often seat you next to strangers. Though everyone is in close proximity here, people find a way to create their own personal space. Listening to iPods, declining eye contact, and even a way of walking gives an attitude of independence that others recognize as a personal boundary.

This subject is what I am studying through my work this first half of the semester. Personal vs. Private space is our first assignment. This may be looked at in many different ways with many different mediums. So while it seems a big subject to tackle, I will be working up to my "big idea" by creating sketches and small projects that will be due every Monday and open for critique.

Yesterday Professor Romaine took us to the Jewish Heritage Museum where we saw the work of Eva Hesse.

She uses fiberglass and latex to create her structures. She was responding to Minimalism in most of her work. I could say much about her work, but I will let you find out more about her.


We went to the Guggenheim and studied the work of Pollock and Kandinsky. While I am not a Pollock fan, I can appreciate what he was trying to accomplish with the recording of action and the process his work took. However the museum itself was my favorite work of art there. Frank Lloyd Wright was the architect behind this building that takes you progressively upward on a spiral ramp.

Must get to work, but will write again soon,
Lauren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! I'm so excited for you. It's just so neat that you are there. It's interesting how differently things work, like how you buy things in an art store. And I had no idea food was so much more expensive. That stinks.

I've read some of your concerns about being able to feel confident about your abilities and your artistic style and I want to let you know (for the millionth time) that you are one of the most capable and talented artists I know. You may stand up next to someone else and think they are better, but just remember that you are always learning more, always going through a different skill phase, and you are always that someone that another person is looking up to. Who cares if you can throw out the right names and movements and isms! Just watch and listen with a sincere eagerness and you will learn so many important things.

Instead of being overwhelmed by the desire to succeed or outperform another, use the pressure as a stimulus to make and make and make.

Most importantly, know that you have God on your side and friends backing you up ready to encourage and support.

Go Lauren!
Love,
Libby

ps. (So much for keeping spammers from commenting. Stupid "Jeff"...)