Monday, September 04, 2006

Pineapple and Henry


I can barely catch breath after arriving here on Thursday…I have been shuffled about the city and spend most of my time (or so it seems) riding on the 1,2, or 3 between Manhattan and Brooklyn Heights. I am living in the St. George Hotel; a building that was once a middle class hotel and is now residence to students from all over the country. I live on the 6th floor overlooking Pineapple Street and Henry. Low-lighting in the pumpkin colored hallway reflects off the walls creating a dull glow, but my room is bright from the light of two large windows. An old fire escape and the rooftop gardens of the crowded blocks meet my view, while the steady Brooklyn Bridge stands tall in the distance. Shannon, my roommate for the semester and immediate friend, greeted me as I shuffled four large suitcases into the room.

My dad decided to visit this city and to help me move in. Several of the girls from NYCAMS live next door, and upon seeing an adult, latched on and traveled with us on our trip to the only Target in Brooklyn. I have never been in a more crowded Target, and when I am traveling with a crowd of people, in an already crowded place, I tend to find my patience waning. After 45 minutes in line we made our way back to the St. George.

Early on Friday, Dad and I walked to Battery Park where we met a ferry that took us to Liberty Island. And though I am embarrassed to admit, I grabbed the audio headset for the self guided tour. Ellis Island was a three story, two hour trip that was an information overload. The man-made island served as the immigration center for New York. Most of the newly arrived immigrants were made to wait on the island for days, and sometimes weeks before processing was finished.

Broadway on a whim is instant gratification…that is if you can find tickets right before the performance. Dad and I were lucky enough to get two tickets on the main floor for the showing of Wicked at the Gershwin. Well worth the money…it is an enchanting play and one I will remember for a long time.

The NYCAMS building sits on 28th and 6th. The 7th floor belongs to the school and is complete with studio space, a gallery, woodshop, darkroom, computer room, and a student lounge/kitchen space. My studio has a direct view of the Empire State building and lets in plenty of light.

The students here are varied. There are those from small towns, and those from the West Coast. Shannon is from APU, but though our schools may be rivals we get along really well. I have enjoyed seeing how people react to one another. There is a slight
one-upmanship that is slowly fading. We do not know each other as artists yet, and there seems to be a desire to throw out names or articulate ourselves well in order that others may see us as established artists. I had to fight the desire to do that…because in the end, I know that I am only trying to convince myself of my own abilities and no one else.

If you take Henry street up a few blocks and turn right on Montague, you are placed on a quiet street (relatively quiet) with used book stores, restaurants, a deli, and buildings with fires escapes and molding that seems straight out of a movie. I am sitting at a Starbucks as I write this. The coffee company has successfully done their job…no matter the city, you may find a Starbucks and instantly feel a recognizable, and welcoming feeling...I made a beeline for a table. There is so much to report I will have to end here. It is time for dinner and I must stop at an ATM. The price of groceries and food here is another story entirely…

No comments: